WHO WE ARE:
SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget challenges, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform efforts. We have over 200 staff members covering 7 counties. Our more than 90,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
The Labor Representative II provides representation to member grievant on disciplinary appeals, contract disputes and a variety of employee relations issues. The primary responsibility is to represent member grievants in mediations, settlement discussions, evidentiary hearings and arbitrations involving low-level disciplinary matters and contract violations under relevant personnel policies and collective bargaining agreements. This position also provides advice to members and other union staff on representational matters and field issues and campaigns. This position reports to the Director of Advocacy.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Represents member grievants at evidentiary hearings, arbitrations, mediations and settlement discussions pursuant to relevant personnel policies or collective bargaining agreements, and at other meetings with management as directed (such as complex personnel investigations and pre-determination meetings as well as interactive process meetings).
- Provide guidance (and attendance as needed) on meet and confers and joint labor management meetings.
- Responsible for case management of assigned caseload, including updating both physical and electronic files,
and adhering to policies and procedures related to case management.
- Appears before arbitrators, municipalities and personnel committees on behalf of grievant members on matters
related to the enforcement of collective bargaining agreements or personnel policies.
- Responsible for full preparation and presentation of any case for hearing from start to finish.
- Review and analyze case file and evidence in order to assess the merits of a case.
- Communicate with the member grievant on all actions related to his or her case, including strategies.
- Interview and prepare witnesses and exhibits for the evidentiary hearing.
- Conduct thorough research into any relevant law, policies or factual issues.
- Prepare any necessary written materials including briefs, motions and subpoenas.
- Communicate with opposing representatives and develop an on-going working relationship.
- Represent SEIU 721 before any member representational appeals committee and other member committees as
- Advise members and staff on representational issues.
- Provides reports on activities to the Director and Union leadership.
- Participate in local-wide Union campaign activities, including political work.
SKILLS, APTITUDE, AND COMMITMENT:
- Ability to communicate effectively with challenging members facing stressful situations.
- Capacity to handle complex issues which might require extensive research and preparation.
- Ability to work independently and as a team in a high pace environment.
- Strong verbal, written and computer skills.
- Strong time and case management and assessment skills.
- Strong analytical skills directed towards the preparation of representation during evidentiary hearings.
- Detail oriented but also able to conceptualize the broader implications of an issue.
- Knowledgeable about representational issues related to grievance handling and labor relations matters.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours.
- Dedication to improving the life of workers and a willingness to participate in a wide range of activities towards that objective.
- Prior demonstrated experience in representation during evidentiary hearings preferred, but not required.
- Prior public and private sector experience in labor movement preferred.
- You must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher preferred but not required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary range as of July 1, 2017: $72,694.83 (entry) to $91,513.51 (12+ years).
- Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
- The Labor Representative II is an UUP bargaining unit position subject to a staff union contract.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017 Fax: (213) 401-1787
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Posted internally on 6/18/19