WHO WE ARE:
SEIU 721 is a dynamic and fast-growing labor organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest unions of publicly-funded employees in the nation. We represent over 90,000 members and have over 200 staff employees covering six counties in Southern California, including Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties and numerous cities in these regions, as well as public-private partnership employers. Our members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health. They care for the sick, protect the quality of the drinking water, keep records in the courts, administer benefits for poor people, maintain the libraries, help run the jails, protect our communities’ most vulnerable members, maintain the streets, work with parolees, maintain the beaches, and provide many other services to keep counties and cities serving our communities.
The RN Division Director reports to the Regional Director- Health and is responsible for leading the RN field and employer relations program which includes managing day to day operations and implementing the Union’s strategic plan. Leads and supervises the RN Division Coordinator and Worksite Organizers by assigning, monitoring and evaluating their work to ensure the Union is delivering the highest quality representation services and leadership development to Registered Nurses.
This position requires leadership of labor-management relations engagements which include contract campaigns, strike-related processes and labor contract enforcement at the employer executive and departmental level, including class action grievances and meet and confers. Works closely with the Legal Department and Advocacy Department to achieve excellent representation of Registered Nurses and with Government Relations Director to advance contract negotiations and contract enforcement goals. This position requires close collaboration with Union leadership and all Departments, other SEIU labor leaders and allies throughout the labor community.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Leads and supervises the RN Division Coordinator to assist with RN Director duties.
- Educates, trains and assists staff to identify, recruit, develop, and partner with RN member leaders to
successfully implement the mission, goals and work of the Union.
- Educates, trains, assists staff, RN Stewards in contract enforcement, workplace issue, contract campaigns.
- Leads contract negotiations, campaigns and strikes.
- Leads teams of staff and members to develop and implement Union industry vision, programs, campaigns.
- Challenges staff to excel in representation and contract campaign work and embrace change in their work.
- Guides the integration of politics and organizing support into the daily work of staff in the workplace.
- Educates, trains, develops, and holds staff accountable in all aspects of their work.
- Challenges and assists staff to embrace change in all aspects of their work.
- Evaluates staff and develops and implements staff development plans.
- Participates in and/or leads new organizing and political campaigns as needed.
- As part of the Union’s management team, contributes to organizational vision and manages local union’s
strategic plans and campaigns as relate to contract negotiations, campaigns and representation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience working with registered nurses is highly desirable.
- Frames issues and articulates organizational values and priorities.
- Leads and works effectively as part of a team.
- Works highly independently and exercises good judgment.
- Proven ability to lead, inspire, motivate and communicate effectively with staff.
- Experience negotiating labor contracts with tough employers and anti-union consultants.
- Experience organizing and leading contract campaigns, preferably with registered nurses.
- Minimum five (5) years management experience in a union or other organizing environment preferred.
- Five +(5) years of experience in union or community organizing.
- Proven ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a management team.
- Proven ability to provide effective leadership.
- Excellent verbal, written and computer skills.
- Ability to effectively multi-task and management time efficiently.
- Ability to understand and articulate the Union’s vision and strategy for social and economic justice.
- Commitment to social justice and building power for workers.
- Extensive knowledge of worker’s rights and union contract enforcement, including class action grievances.
- Significant experience in negotiating and enforcing labor union contracts.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends and participate in all union-
- Willingness to travel and work in different locations for determined periods of time, if needed.
- Valid California driver’s license, working automobile and valid auto insurance with minimum level of
coverage required by the union.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary is commensurate based on experience.
- Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, detailed writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721 Suite 100 1545 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 401-1787 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered, your resume or cover letter must show how you meet each of the job requirements listed above.
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment. Women and people of color encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.