WHO WE ARE:
SEIU 721 is a dynamic and fast growing labor organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest unions of publicly funded employees in the nation. We represent over 90,000 members and have over 170 staff employees covering 6 counties in Southern California, including Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties and numerous cities in these regions. Our members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health. They care for the sick, protect the quality of the drinking water, keep records in the courts, administer benefits for disadvantaged people, maintain the libraries, help run the jails, protect our communities’ most vulnerable members, maintain the streets, work with parolees, groom and maintain the beaches, and provide many other services to keep counties and cities running.
SEIU 721 is on the forefront of local politics, defends public services in the face of budget challenges, organizes workers in the public and private sectors, and serves as key players in national reform efforts. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
SEIU 721 represents public service workers across Southern California who are committed to their communities’ health and safety. The Communications Department seeks a Communications Specialist who can share our vision for how to advocate for working families using both new and traditional media.
Under the direction of the Director of Communications, the Communications Specialist will help run a strong communications program for SEIU members, with a special emphasis on website management, press outreach and member outreach via digital media. The Communications Specialist will work out of the Los Angeles office with some travel which may include other regions.
The ideal candidate for the Communications Specialist position has work experience with other progressive, non- profit organizations, political organizations and/or mass media, understands the goals and mission of SEIU and has a demonstrated, broad knowledge of websites, social networking, email and blogging that he or she can seamlessly apply to issue organizing. The Communications Specialist will contribute advanced skills including fluency in HTML, design programs (InDesign/Photoshop), and email organizing, as well as campaign strategy to field, issue and political campaigns.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Works with staff to provide campaign support including messaging, communications plans, timely materials, website copy, etc.
- Provides support, planning, strategy for communications projects.
- Monitors the website for regular consistent content and regularly contributes content to website, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Monitors and implements email, digital, and text messaging program
- Enhances and expands online capacity of the union
- Writes, edits, and designs regular leaflets, newsletters and other communiqués on important worksite issues
- Outreach to news media to pitch and shape earned media supporting the goals and mission of SEIU 721 and our campaigns.
- Assistance with photography and video production at union events.
- Assistance with event staging, including press conferences and rallies.
- Development of SEIU 721 member leaders into campaign and issue organizing spokespeople.
- Excellent communications skills, confidence in generating written and visual content for print productions, as well as online and social media consumption.
- Demonstrated design, verbal, visual/graphic, interviewing and analytical communications skills
- Two or more years in campaign communications, labor communications, public affairs, community organizing, journalism or other related experience.
- Familiarity with campaign communications and organizing
- Ability to work both independently and effectively as part of a team under limited direction and balance conflicting demands and to lead, teach and train other colleagues including communications staff and field staff
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
- Advanced experience with WordPress, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, various web platforms, mass email systems, and SALSA, or ability to be trained on additional software as needed.
- Ability to work under pressure; must be well-organized and self-motivated.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discern priorities.
- Ability to make effective use of resources available to the union.
- Dedication to improving the position of working people and strengthening the role of organized labor through work actions, community relations, and legislative and political activity.
- Ability to work effectively with members and staff from diverse ethnic, social, and economic groups.
- Valid California driver’s license, working automobile and valid auto insurance.
- Commitment to social justice and building power for workers.
- Special consideration will be given to candidates with the ability to speak, read, and write in multiple languages.
You must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary range: $76,701.35 (entry level) to $96,604.37 (with 12 plus years of experience)
- This is a United Union Professionals (UUP) represented position and subject to a collective bargaining agreement
- Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
SEIU Local 721
Human Resources Department
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 401-1787 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered, your resume or cover letter must show how you meet each of the job requirements listed above.
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Posted Internally on 10/16/2019
Position will remain open until filled.