WHO WE ARE:
SEIU 721 is a dynamic and fast growing labor organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest unions of publicly funded employees in the nation. We represent over 85,000 members and have over 200 staff employees covering 6 counties in Southern California, including Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties and numerous cities in these regions. Our members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health. They care for the sick, protect the quality of the drinking water, keep records in the courts, administer benefits for poor people, maintain the libraries, help run the jails, protect our communities’ most vulnerable members, maintain the streets, work with parolees, groom and maintain the beaches, and provide many other services to keep counties and cities running.
The Member Connection Organizer (MC Organizer) will assist members with contract inquiries, advice on workplace issues, information about union campaigns and activities or connect them with the appropriate union representative. The Member Connection (MC) uses sophisticated call center and case management technology to provide equal access to SEIU members, irrespective of which employer they work for, their geographic location or the nature of their inquiry.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Answering member service phone calls and associated inquiries.
- Providing excellence in customer care and member support services, including but not limited to grievance-related issues.
- Working to ensure that member issues are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Completing assignments, generally involving member support issues.
- Documenting member interactions in tracking system(s).
- Interfacing and interacting with members, stewards, local union staff, and other individuals and groups.
- Recommending enhancements to processes and procedures.
- Conduct informal resolution meetings over the phone between the member and management
- Research relevant resources to assist members
- Identify member representation needs
- Adhere to Standard Operating procedures
- Meet call performance, call quality and accuracy standards
- On an as needs basis, attend presentations, meetings and training at locals.
- Organize members into their Union by providing participation options
- Organize open shop membership by conducting membership and Committee on Political Education Conversations
- High school diploma or equivalent is required, college degree preferred, but not required.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a call center, customer service, or similar environment.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Windows, Office and other productivity software.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- High level ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Experience with call center and help desk is desirable, including call logging, incident tracking, case management, and/or similar task.
- Ability to work effectively with members and staff from diverse ethnic, social, and economic groups.
- Experience with labor unions is required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Current hourly rate is $26.02 (entry) to $33.22 (12+ years).
- Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
- The Member Connection Organizer is an UUP bargaining unit position subject to a staff union contract.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 401-1787
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Position will remain open until filled. Posted internally on Oct. 28, 2019.