SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget challenges, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform efforts. We have over 200 staff members covering 7 counties. Our more than 90,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries,
courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
External Organizers identify and recruit worker leaders who want to organize to join the union. They evaluate potential organizing targets, contact unorganized workers, develop leaders; mobilize members to support external organizing; plan and conduct organizing campaigns. This is not a 9 to 5 job – it requires long and varied hours, including early morning, evening and weekend work, as necessary. May require travel and periods of overnight.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Conduct worksite meetings, offsite meetings, and house visits with workers.
- Develop weekly and monthly plans based on overall campaign goals.
- Identify worker issues, mobilize workers for public actions, track worker data.
- Identify and help lawyers file legal, regulatory charges and law suits to support the campaign.
SKILLS, APTITUDE, AND COMMITMENT:
We seek organizers who have proven in their past campaigns that they:
- Can effectively execute a plan, and move turf.
- Are dependable team members who can also work independently.
- Have strong written and spoken communication skills.
- Work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Are self-motivated to show up on time, meet deadlines and achieve campaign goals.
- Have good judgment, including the ability to discern and focus on priorities.
- Use union resources wisely.
- Are deeply committed to improving workers’ lives and building a strong labor movement.
- Share our commitment to building a diverse union in which discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation or other social and economic characteristics is not tolerated.
• Two years prior union organizing experience is required.
• Some credit may be given for related experience, especially rank and file union activism and leadership.
• Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
• Salary range as of July 1, 2020: $60,550.47 (entry) to $89,542.79 (12+ years).
• Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
• The External Organizer is an UUP bargaining unit position subject to a staff union contract.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite #100 Los Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 401-1787
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Position will remain open until filled. Posted internally 9/8/20.