WHO WE ARE:
SEIU 721 is a dynamic and fast growing labor organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest unions of publicly funded employees in the nation. We represent over 97,000 members and have over 180 staff employees covering 6 counties in Southern California, including Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties and numerous cities in these regions. Our members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health. They care for the sick, protect the quality of the drinking water, keep records in the courts, administer benefits for poor people, maintain the libraries, help run the jails, protect our communities’ most vulnerable members, maintain the streets, work with parolees, groom and maintain the beaches, and provide many other services to keep counties and cities running.
The Staff Counsel reports directly to the Executive Director with supervision by the General Counsel.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Represent union members and/or the Union in arbitration, grievance mediation and settlement discussions, civil service hearings, unfair labor practice charges and litigation relating to grievance-arbitration and civil service proceedings, and other administrative proceedings.
- Manage and prioritize a significant caseload toward resolution or adjudication using case assessment and electronic case management tools.
- Interpret, analyze and apply labor agreements to fact patterns.
- Organize and manage data bases and case documents.
- Conduct legal research and writing and engage in oral advocacy.
- Assist in training Union leaders and staff on member representation.
- Other broader union mission duties as assigned, such as political phone banking and precinct-walking.
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school and bar membership in California (for applicants awaiting bar results, employment is contingent on admission)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent member service to a diverse membership.
- Efficient and effective case management skills, including strong advocacy skills.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Willingness to travel and work in different locations as needed.
- Valid driver’s license, working automobile and valid auto insurance with minimum level of coverage required.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and building powers for workers
- Participate in Union-wide activities as directed
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary is commensurate based on experience.
- Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, resume, writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017
To be considered, your resume or cover letter must show how you meet each of the job requirements listed above.
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Position will remain open until filled.