WHO WE ARE:
SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget challenges, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform efforts. We have over 180 staff members covering 6 counties. Our more than 90,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
An Organizing Lead primary responsibility is to directly implement her/his component of the local’s external organizing plan, guided by an External Organizing Coordinator. She/he provides day-to-day supervision to staff, monitors staff development of external organizers, trains, mentors, coaches staff, and has the authority to recommend and implement discipline. She/he makes recommendations on assignments based on staff development needs. She/he reports directly to an External Organizing Coordinator or the Director of External Organizing. This is not a 9 to 5 job – long and varied hours, with early morning, evening and weekend work, as necessary. This is an exempt position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Assists in developing / implementing / evaluating all aspects of campaign plans and work plans for assigned external organizing campaigns;
• Assists with developing and implementing staff development plans;
• Supervises assigned staff;
• Identifies and implements legal, community and political strategies;
• Debriefs organizers and workers;
• Work with, guide and train member leaders;
• Facilitates weekly 1-on-1’s, message trainings, evaluate work plans, etc.;
• Enforce timely reports: activity reports, mileage, reimbursements, time sheets, etc.;
• Model and provide feedback to organizers on team;
• May perform other duties as assigned.
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
• Commitment to building long-term power for working people.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write reports, make presentations, facilitate meetings, and conduct training.
• Strong supervisory skills.
• Proven ability to manage in a manner which inspires, motivates, develops and maintains good
working relations with diverse membership and staff.
• Ability to take initiative, to work with a team, and to handle a fast-paced setting, multiple projects and tight deadlines.
• Ability to assist and support any and all of the local’s campaigns, including but not limited to, Internal, External and Political.
• Knowledge and experience in union external organizing, preferably including private sector experience.
• Knowledge of organizing campaign planning and implementation.
• Experience in the legal, political, economic and industry forces that impact organizing campaigns; including understanding of public and private sector labor law as it relates to organizing.
• Experience in developing and implementing organizing campaigns.
• Knowledge and experience in the supervision of workers.
• Experience in organizing, development and mobilization of workers.
• Demonstrated self-motivation, initiative, critical thinking skills, responsibility and productivity.
• Working knowledge of Word and PowerPoint, as well as working knowledge of spreadsheets and database software.
• Minimum three (3) years External Organizing experience. Must include experience developing and leading external organizing campaigns, preferably in the private and public sectors.
• Require Private Sector Organizing.
• You must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for
• Willingness to work long and irregular hours and participate in all union wide activities.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017 Fax: (213) 401-1787
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified
candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Position will remain open until filled.