WHO WE ARE:
SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast-growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget cuts, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform
efforts. We have over 180 staff members covering 6 counties. Our more than 90,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying, and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
Under the supervision of the External Department leadership, the Research Associate will provide strategic policy analysis, research, and support for union campaigns. The Research Associate may also be assigned duties beyond this job description.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
▪ Identify issues relevant to Union-supported campaigns through strategic analysis of regulatory agencies, policy documents, public budgets, service delivery patterns, labor relations and other issues and actors and other complex systems.
▪ Lead in preparation of reports, white papers, public testimony, and other research products.
▪ Creatively analyze financial and other quantitative data to identify facts and patterns relevant to our goals and mission.
▪ Gather information from people, including union and organizing committee members, consumers, public officials, business leaders, academic experts, and others.
▪ Participate thoughtfully in strategic planning.
SKILLS, APTITUDE, AND COMMITMENT:
All candidates must have:
▪ Proven financial and data analysis skills.
▪ Ability to work quickly and creatively under tight deadlines in a team environment. ▪ Proven skill and determination in tracking down hard-to-find information.
▪ Willingness to work long hours when needed to meet deadlines.
▪ Understanding of and commitment to Local 721’s mission.
▪ Three years of directly relevant research or public policy-related work.
▪ Strong writing skills, including ability to create well-written research reports for both popular and specialist audiences.
▪ Advanced skills and experience in at least one of the three following areas: public budget analysis/ policy analysis, corporate financial analysis, corporate social responsibility research.
▪ Intermediate or advanced-level experience using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access or comparable database and spreadsheet software.
▪ Professional or rank-and-file activist experience in a union or other progressive social change organization.
▪ A Masters or equivalent degree in one of the following areas or another relevant is preferred: Public Policy, Public Health, Urban Planning, Business, Finance, Accounting or Law.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
• Salary range as of July 1, 2021: $81,372.46 (entry) to $102,487.58 (12+ years).
• Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
• The Research Associate is an UUP bargaining unit position subject to a staff union contract.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to: For a candidate to be considered, application materials must show how s/he meets each of the skills and experience requirements identified above.
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Position will remain open until filled. Posted internally on 11/10/21