WHO WE ARE:
SEIU 721 is a dynamic and fast growing labor organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest unions of publicly funded employees in the nation. We represent over 98,000 members and have over 180 staff employees covering 6 counties in Southern California, including Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties and numerous cities in these regions. Our members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health. They care for the sick, protect the quality of the drinking water, keep records in the courts, administer benefits for poor people, maintain the libraries, help run the jails, protect our communities’ most vulnerable members, maintain the streets, work with parolees, groom and maintain the beaches, and provide many other services to keep counties and cities running.
SEIU 721 is on the forefront of local politics, defends public services in the face of budget challenges, organizes workers in the public and private sectors, and serves as key players in national reform efforts. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
SEIU 721 represents public service workers across Southern California who is committed to their communities’ health and safety. The Communications Department seeks a Senior Communications Coordinator who can share our vision for how to advocate for working families using both new and traditional media.
Under the direction of the Director of Communications, the Senior Communications Coordinator will help run a strong communications program for SEIU members, with a special emphasis on the strategizing and implementation of internal and external organizing communication needs, press outreach and member engagement. The Senior Communications Coordinator will work out of the Los Angeles office with some travel throughout Los Angeles County.
The Senior Communications Coordinator is responsible for leading specific issue and program areas within the union as well as supervising staff and special projects within the Communications Department.
The Senior Communications Coordinator will report to the Director of Communications and manage specific day-to- day operations of the department. This may include oversight of campaign communications, media relations and/or online and social media.
SAMPLE OF DUTIES:
• Plans, develops strategies and manages multiple communications campaigns and projects simultaneously in a high-pressure environment requiring rapid adjustment to changing priorities and strategies
• Initiates and leads projects, including the local’s media outreach program
• Trains and preps member spokespeople
• Writes, edits and designs regular leaflets and newsletters on important worksite issues
• Works with staff to provide campaign support including messaging, communications plans, social and digital media plans, timely materials, website copy, etc.
• Contributes to website, social and digital media campaigns, special projects, events, and other communications needs
• Produces brochures, member materials, posters and other collateral materials
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and design, verbal, visual/graphic, interviewing and analytical communication skills
• Advanced computer skills, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Hustle, and Salsa
• Demonstrated results in planning events and media outreach
• Deep understanding of campaign communications and union organizing
• Ability to work independently under limited direction and balance conflicting demands
• Willingness to work long and irregular hours and participate in all union wide activities.
• Proven ability to work with a diverse group of people, including union members, union staff and leaders, members of the media, elected officials, and other community and issue stakeholders.
• Exceptional writing and editing skills with working knowledge of the production of printed publications,
including layout and graphic design.
• Strong personal diplomacy, including a highly professional temperament and the ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
• Commitment to social justice and building power for workers.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Experience in the areas of strategic labor communications with special expertise in media relations and event planning
• You must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
• Salary is commensurate based on experience.
• Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
The Senior Communications Coordinator is an exempt position.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, three to five -page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
SEIU Local 721
Human Resources Department 1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017
To be considered, your resume or cover letter must show how you meet each of the job requirements listed
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.