SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast-growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget challenges, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform efforts. We have over 180 staff members covering 6 counties. Our more than 90,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
The Administrative Support Assistant reports directly to the Director of Operations and/or their designee. Works as a TEAM with the other Administrative Support Assistants, provides any/all clerical support functions for all Worksite Organizers, including data entry, member telephone inquiries, typing general correspondence and meeting notes, processing Steward certifications.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED:
- Maintain Membership database, including electronic filing;
- Coordinate, organize and schedule meetings, provides logistics and support of materials, equipment, and room reservation;
- Process food requests for all Internal divisions (DPSS/DCFS, GS III, Courts, RN & Health Divisions and any others as requested). This consists of placing food orders, preparing, and submitting all forms to Accounting for vendor payment. Ongoing contact with vendors and staff to ensure deliveries are processed correctly and timely, ongoing solicitation of new vendor services and provide Accounting with all pertinent information;
- Prepare letters/correspondence, meeting notes, emails, contracts and contract proposals, and Microsoft Excel for spread sheets for various project and assignments;
- Prepare shop steward certifications, de-certifications, and re-certifications, which include correspondence with various Personnel Departments;
- Prepare mailings as assigned.
- Provide assistance to Departments and Members by collecting membership data such as member travel information, assist in the coordination of special events, and trainings, etc.
- Ability to communicate, work effectively and relate respectfully with a diverse membership and staff;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel and e-mail programs;
- Proficient in typing, data entry, and filing;
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and as part of a team and respond quickly to shifting priorities and rush deadlines; members and vendors in a courteous and professional manner;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Ability to type 35 to 40 wpm;
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Current hourly rate is $26.60 (entry) to $31.34 (10 years)
- Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
- The Administrative Support Assistant is an hourly OPEIU bargaining unit position subject to a staff union
- Work hours may be between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., subject to department needs.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 402-3590 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Position will remain open until filled.