WHO WE ARE:
SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget challenges, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform efforts. We have over 175 staff members covering 6 counties. Over more than 85,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
The Chief Negotiator reports directly to the Director / Asst. Director of Collective Bargaining and/or Leadership. This position will be responsible for working with elected bargaining teams and serving as Chief Negotiator in contract negotiation and campaigns including other critical union campaign projects as assigned. This is not a 9 to 5 job – long and varied hours, with early morning, evening and weekend work, as necessary. This is an FLSA exempt position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Leading the negotiating table and supporting the field in contract campaigns
- Training and supporting field staff in contract campaigns
- Leading and supporting other campaigns needed by local leadership
- Develop and train bargaining teams
- Support in developing Contract Action Teams
- Multi-task and perform other duties as assigned
- Commitment to building long-term power for working people.
- Strong background in labor and organizing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write contract proposals/language, write reports, conduct research, make presentations, facilitate meetings with bargaining teams and members, and conduct trainings.
- Private Sector experience preferred.
- Experience in bargaining contracts and union campaigns are preferred.
- Knowledge of bargaining first (1st) contracts is preferred
- Ability to take initiative, to work with a team, and to handle a fast-paced environment, multiple projects and tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain good working relations with diverse membership and staff.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours and participate in all union wide activities.
- Willingness to travel and work in different locations for determined periods of time.
- You must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use
- Commitment to social justice and building power for workers
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Salary is commensurate based on experience.
- Fully paid benefits package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 402-3590 E-mail: email@example.com
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.