In accordance with our SEIU Local 721 by-laws, it is my honor as your President, to submit this report to you on our Union’s activities. To read the full report, please use this link.
100 Days of Corporate GIVEAWAYS
President Trump’s first 100 days in office have shocked America. During his campaign, Russian intelligence operatives reportedly manipulated Donald Trump’s lack of knowledge and experience to further their nation’s policy objectives. Now, some of the country’s biggest corporations and their lobbyists are exploiting the same weaknesses to roll back laws and regulations they don’t like, cut their own taxes and, in some cases, use the Office of the President to enrich themselves — all at the expense of ordinary working people and taxpayers.
Trump’s honeymoon was essentially 100 days of corporate giveaways:
- Stocked his cabinet with billionaires, bankers and corporate CEOs
- Appointed anti-worker jurist Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court
- Met with more than 200 corporations, inviting big business to shape federal policy
- Signed 13 resolutions by Congress repealing Obama administration regulations opposed by big business
- Overturned the Obama administration’s measures blocking the Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines
- Signed executive orders aimed at collapsing the Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform law, passed in the wake of the 2008 worldwide financial meltdown.
Trump’s proposals are textbook examples of why we need to keep the resistance alive and push harder than ever to ensure that everyone covered by an SEIU 721 contract is signed up as a full member and participating in COPE (Committee on Political Education).
Read the rest of this month’s President’s Report to find out how we’re ready to Stand Up.
Also in this President’s Report:
- SEIU COPE Reminds Sacramento – SEIU Members Do the Work That Keeps California Moving
- SEIU Riverside to County CEO: Cut the Fat, Not the Frontlines
- Riverside 721 Members Turn Up the Heat – Members Furious County is Proposing Service Cuts After Squandering $119 Million
- Celebrating the Life and Legacy of Mike Garcia
- L.A. County Nurse Practitioners Win Wage Reopener
- Olive View Nurses Win 12-Hour Shifts in their Campaign for a Just Workplace
- SEIU 721 Celebrates Women’s History Month – Women Lead the Resistance
- Representational Win of the Month – 721 Tri-Counties Delivers Retro Pay to Ventura County Worker
- Hundreds of ResCare Workers Organize to Join SEIU 721 – Latest Victory in Worker-Led Organizing Drive at Nation’s Largest Disability Service Provider
- L.A. Workers Call on Mayor and City Hall to Deliver on Promise to Fix L.A. to Restore Services and Add 5,000 New Full-Time Jobs
- CSWs on the Road to Child Safety: One Year Later – L.A. County Children’s Social Workers Make Progress on Caseloads and Mentoring.