Nursing Assistants at LAC+USC have been told to stay in Covid positive patient rooms with windows and doors closed for up to 4 hours. Together in our union, we’ve sent a strong message to management that this is unsafe!
We’re demanding the following to ensure the safety of ourselves and the patients we serve:
- Doors to remain open if patients are not contagious, as LAC+USC claims they are not.
- Set definite limits of maximum time to sit in a COVID positive room as a mandated practice to all units.
- If placing COVID positive patients in regular rooms, place in rooms with windows for patients requiring a Care Companion.
- Prioritize CAPR/PAPR use for Care Companions, and to order more CAPR/PAPR.
- HEPA filter machines in each room.
- Nursing Attendants caring for COVID positive patients must have regular access to county scrubs.
- All of the above must apply to NA assignments to COVID positive patients on high flow oxygen machines.
If you feel you have a potentially unsafe situation at work, call your Worksite Organizer with SEIU721, Michelle Salas at 213-447-3252