On Thursday, April 23, LA County’s Chief Executive Officer sent a letter to all Department Heads and Department Human Resources Managers with further guidance on the implementation of the COVID-19 Paid Leave programs. The letter can be found here. Here are the highlights:
- All Departments are expected to begin to approve leave requests no later than Friday, April 24.
- Departments cannot narrow the eligibility criteria established by the Department of Human Resources, and can only deny requests based on legitimate operational needs.
- Departments that limit approval of childcare related leave requests are encouraged to consider hardships, such as the child’s health condition, special needs, or legal (foster) status.
- Leave requests can be approved retroactive to April 1, when the programs took effect. (Time for the first half of April can be adjusted up until May 22.)
- There will be a REVIEW PROCESS with Labor participation to reconsider certain requests that have been denied.
The CEO has heard our concerns and has taken these steps to ensure that the leave programs are available to as many employees as possible, while allowing for consideration of Departments’ operational needs during the COVID-19 emergency.