SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget challenges, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform efforts. We have over 200 staff members covering 7 counties. Our more than 90,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.
The Regional Director-Tri Counties reports to the Chief of Staff and or designee and is responsible for managing the day to day operations. Leads and manages the work of the Worksite Organizers and Administrative staff by assigning, monitoring and evaluating the staff’s work in order to ensure that the Union is delivering the highest quality representation services to the members. This position also requires the collaboration with other Departments within the union.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Train and assist staff in identifying, recruiting, developing, and partnering with leaders to successfully implement the mission, goals and work of the union.
• Coordinate teams of staff and members in developing and implementing industry vision, programs, and campaigns.
• Maintaining understanding of labor law, politics, government organizations and other issues related to the workers represented.
• Challenge staff and assist to embrace change in all aspects of their work
• Help develop and direct campaigns to resolve workplace issues.
• Assist staff/lead contract negotiations, campaigns and strikes.
• Guide integration of politics and organizing support into the daily work of staff in the workplace.
• Participate in and/or lead new organizing and political campaigns as needed.
• Train, develop and hold staff accountable in all aspects of their work.
• Evaluate staff; develop and implement staff development plans.
• As part of supervisory team, contribute to organizational vision and manage the local’s strategic plans and campaigns.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to work effectively with members and staff from diverse ethnic, social and economic groups.
• Frame issues and articulate organizational values and priorities.
• Lead and work effectively as part of a team.
• Work highly independently and exercise good judgment.
• Ability to exercise excellent judgment and decisiveness while working under extreme pressure.
• Ability to plan and coordinate campaign and contract activities.
• Inspire, motivate, and communicate effectively with staff and members.
• Bargain contracts and deal with tough employers and anti union consultants.
• High level ability to communicate orally and in writing.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in union or community organizing.
• Minimum 3 years management experience in union or community organizing.
• Ability to hold self and senior staff accountable for follow-through on union priorities and programs.
• Must have experience with union organizing drives.
• Understanding of the California Civil Service Code, Public Employment Relations Board (PERB), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), Meyers-Milias-Brown Act (MMBA), and other relevant laws and provisions.
• Basic knowledge of worker’s rights
• Willingness to work long and irregular hours and participate in all union wide activities.
• Willingness to travel and work in different locations for determined periods of time.
• Valid California driver’s license, working automobile and valid auto insurance with minimum level of coverage required by the union.
• Commitment to social justice and building power for workers
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
• Annual Salary Range is between $128,750.00 and $132,613.00
• Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Garrett Guillen, Human Resources Generalist SEIU Local 721 Suite 100
1545 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
To be considered, your resume or cover letter must show how you meet each of the job requirements listed above.
SEIU Local 721 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. SEIU Local 721 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.