“It’s time the community know that we are still committed to serving our clients and that cuts to our salaries are also cuts to public services,” said Elizabeth Wilson, an eligibility supervisor in Santa Maria.
With 40 hours of furlough time on top of a 3.5% pay cut, workers are challenged with rearranging schedules, paycheck tax deductions, altered healthcare coverage for family members, and balancing an ever-growing caseload to serve county clients. These changes have a direct impact on the clients of more than 450 social workers, eligibility workers, career employment specialists, public defender investigators, medical service representatives and probation assistants.
Show Support on Social Media
- Support SEIU 721 members in Santa Barbara County and the community they serve by sharing this ad with your friends, colleagues, and online networks such as Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. If you share it please add the phrase ”
” to your post.
- Show solidarity and post a photo of you with the ad to the SB County workers Facebook page at http://facebook.com/JobsNotCutsSB and please “Like” the page.
- You can also mail the ad with a message to the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors and urge them to restore public services to the community and workers. You can find Board Members and their addresses at this page then click through on the Supervisors’ website link via their Contact pages. Supervisor Wolf was the only Board of Supervisor who stood up for workers and did not vote to impose the salary cuts.
- Click here to share the ad via your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Download the ad to your computer by right mouse clicking on the image below and selecting “Save Image As.” This will allow you to upload it to your favorite online sharing site.
- Union Workers Upset at Pay Raise for County Official (KEYT including TV coverage)
- Union protests administrator’s pay raise (SB NewsPress)
- SEIU Local 721 Members Challenge Board on Steep Executive Salaries
- County employees rally against cuts (Santa Maria Times)
- SB County social services workers protest wage cuts (MSNBC)
- Members Rally Against SB Board of Supervisors
- Fact Sheet on SEIU Local 721 members in Santa Barbara County and negotiations. (PDF)