Apply today to Spend-A-Day with Advocacy Staff June 18th, 19th, or 20th.
Through this program, you will gain a better understanding of how the SEIU 721 Advocacy Department operates on handling grievances, arbitrations and civil service hearings. Stewards will be exposed to at least one type of hearing.
Stewards will also have the opportunity to be involved in:
- Preparation involved in Building a Case
- A better understanding of the role of a Steward in representation
- How best to use the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Departmental Policies
- Be equipped with the skills needed to effectively handle grievances
- Experience the Civil Service hearing process
The Advanced Grievance Field Training program is designed to provide stewards with firsthand experience of the day to day responsibilities of providing quality representation.
- Stewards must request for time off that day and the union will reimburse them for their time
- Stewards must participate for the full day
- Steward who are selected must submit their request for time for time off
- Stewards will be required to be dressed in business attire
- Stewards must exercise strict confidentiality with the cases they will be exposed to
- Stewards will be paired with an Advocacy staff to shadow in the field
- Stewards are expected to participate in a debrief and complete all applicable forms
- Upon Completion of the program, stewards will be added to the SEIU Local 721
Representation Ready Steward list Selections Expectations:
- Must complete and submit your application by May 30, 2012
- To be considered for the program, the steward must have completed Advance Grievance Training and commit to learning and utilize the skills
- Final selection will be made by the members perspective Division staff
- Stewards will be notified if they are selected for the program
- Stewards cannot participate on their Regular Day Off (RDO)
Total number of spaces available of participants per region for each day are:
- Los Angeles County – 11
- Los Angeles City/Orange County – 3
Applications must be turned in by May 30, 2012. Download an application here.
For more information contact: Rashina Young at (213) 368-8688